Monday, January 26, 2015

Swimming and Kappa, Who I am Today


On Friday night I had experiences with two pieces of my past that shaped me into the person I am today.  I have used the weekend to think about how these things have really affected me and I think that that I need to get it written out. So read if you wish or just ignore my ramblings. :) 

A Kappa sister's little girl passed away unexpectedly and those of us who know her are devastated. On Friday a gathering was held for family and friends who were not in Boston to celebrate her life. As I arrived at the church I immediately saw Kappa sisters. Some of these women I talked to last week and others I haven't talked to since they graduated college (4+ years).  With each person that I talked to it seemed like it was yesterday when we last talked. 

Some chapters present Kappa as a college experience but it really is for a lifetime. 11 years after graduation and not having Utah be my initiated chapter Kappa still feels like home. I can't remember the exact quote but as the mother said as she saw her pledge sisters, this is why I paid for my friends. It is an understatement in what Kappa is and why I am still involved with it. 

The other event was to watch my high school swimming coach be inducted into the Coaches Hall of Fame. It is amazing what this man has accomplished in his life including individual swimming awards, multiple national coaching awards, Utah coaching awards, and 22+ state championships.

What I even find more amazing is the number of student athletes that he affected. I know he helped shaped me into the person I am today. As a little freshman that joined the team (and wasn't that good) he saw the potential in me. He encouraged me to continue and push through the pain, as you could call it. That year at state I surprised everyone and actually made the finals and the rest is history for my swimming career.   Indirectly this man helped me get through Lawrence and actually get my degree in 4 years. He taught me how to be a better person and know that I can accomplish anything I want to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment