Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Arrival of the Little Man

On Sunday, December 28 Scott and I trekked out in the snow storm to go to the hospital to be induced. It was late, 8pm, and I was prepared to have a long go with labor but who knew how long it would really be.  I knew it would be a long go of it because of the lack of progression that I had made up to my 39 week appointment.

The first round of induction lasted 4 hours and we made a little but not very much progress. The decision was to do another round of the medication so we had another 4 hours to kill. At an ungodly time, I'd like to say 5:30am, the nurse and resident came in and I had no change from the last check. With that doctor and nurse a plan of action was created.

Scott and I didn't hear from anyone for about an hour when we had the on call doctor, the one really in charge, and in talking to her we decided on a different plan of action- pitocin and inserting a balloon to help dilate. After having these procedures for a while the contractions were (obviously) getting stronger so I asked for an epidural. 

After 3 emergency C-sections, and 2 pages later (i.e. an hour) we finally got the anesthesiologist in to get the epidural. Once we got the epidural placed I laid down and that is when things became crazy. The little guy's heart-rate had dropped and wouldn't come up. Initially I wasn't too concerned as throughout the morning whenever I laid back down after using the restroom he would drop a little but come right back up. I knew something was up when the nurse asked Scott to use the pager to call another nurse in.

In a matter of 4 minutes I went from laying down to being pulled into the hallway to have an emergency C-section. It happened so fast that my epidural hadn't fully hit when they wanted to start the procedure. Scott was allowed in the room once the little guy was out but he wasn't breathing when he walked in. It took them a while to get all the fluids out of his lungs but they were able to get him breathing. Scott got to hold him a little in the room, I vaguely remember seeing him when Scott brought him over. Scott then went with the little guy to the nursery so they could monitor him because he was having some labored breathing. In all reality, this is all a blur to me. It's recalled from what I can remember and what Scott has said.

The cause of the little man's distress was the umbilical cord being wrapped around his neck. Good thing we were at the hospital or it could have been a worse situation!

I wasn't able to see the little man until we got into our room in the maternity wing. Once we were in and semi settled Scott brought him in from the nursery. At that time we decided that to name our little man Aaron. 

1 comment: