Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dog Swimming



Last year Scott & I were thinking that we would have enough time to go mountain biking at the cabin over the 4th of July so we brought our bikes. Apparently that was wishful thinking because we didn't get close to it but on the transport home my break broke. Well the rest of the summer was busy and we didn't fix it.

This past week my wonderful fiance fixed my bike and last night we were finally able to go for a ride. We decided to take captain since he usually does a evening ride with B, Scott's brother. Scott lives about a block away from the Jordan River Parkway and the International Peace Gardens so we rode our bikes over there. It was great riding through the gardens and seeing all the families out and brides getting their photos taken. Captain was exhausted so we decided to go over to the river and let him get a drink. As he did that he jumped into the river and cooled down (the one time that I don't bring my camera I need it). We got him out and went on another ride further south on the parkway.

We took another break to let him catch his breath. He wanted to get in the river but the bank of the river wasn't gradual but a steep drop off. So we walked over to a dock that was down closer to the river and the next thing we know Captain has leaped into the water and started swimming! I don't think he was even ready to not have ground to touch but we had to do the panic pull out of the water. He smelled so bad we had to give him a bath once we got home. I think next time we go for a ride I think I am going to suggest that we don't take him so we can go further on the trail. ;)

On another swimming front I have gone to my swimming class 5 times now. It has been great getting back into the water and actually getting some laps done. Right now I can get about 2500 yards done in the 50 minutes that we can swim. I hope to improve that amount as I start getting onto faster times but for now I am very proud of what I've accomplished in 5 sessions and being out of the pool for 6+ years. (BTW: I have already lost some weight in these practices-so wedding here I come!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment