Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kappa Kappa Gamma


I am a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma fraternity. I joined this organization my sophomore year in college. Now some background on this decision: it is well known (or at least I think it is) that Kappa wasn't my first choice but I decided to join because of my father. I'm sure you are thinking, "Your father? Isn't it a women's fraternity?" And the answer to that is yes BUT he had the best point when I called him, crying like crazy, that I wasn't offered a bid to the one of my choice but Kappa wanted me. He said think about the opportunities that Kappa could possibly bring me and when I move back to Salt Lake (he obviously knew I wouldn't stay away from this city) there is a chapter at the U and you can get involved that way. I thought about it and joined and once I was initiated I haven't looked back on that decision!

As a undergraduate student I was overly involved with everything swimming, Trustees Committee for Student Affairs, Lawrence Fund Senior Committee (I can't remember the technical name), and Kappa. These groups are what made my time at Lawrence (though, school did suffer a bit). I served in many offices and my senior year I held WAY too many to be actually functional but somehow I did it. It was a great time and I thought that I wouldn't be able to beat my over involvement from that year.

When I moved back to Salt Lake it took me a while but I got involved with the chapter. About a year- year and a half after I moved back and became involved with the chapter and, like before, I haven't looked back since.

About a week and a half ago I received a phone call from the Director of Chapters (a BIG position) asking if I would like to move into a Province Director of Chapters (PDC) position.  This is a much bigger position than those that I have held before and it brings on a lot of responsibility. After thinking about it over the weekend and saying I was interested the Fraternity Council appointed me to the position last week.  (::insert crazy dance here::) I am so excited but a little daunted/overwhelmed by this new responsibility.

What will I be doing? Well I am the person that 3 chapters contact if there are any questions/issues that may arise as well as help collect paperwork that is due (among other things).  It doesn't *seem* like that much more work than my current involvement, and I think once I get into the position I will be fine, but trying to get everything organized, know what I'm supposed to be doing and actually doing what I'm supposed to be doing makes life busy. It doesn't help that I'm also trying to finish up my current job, recruitment adviser, while doing all this with life. The good thing about the overlap is there are some awesome advisers that I work with & my officer are on top of things. I'll be down to one position once I recruitment is done (next Wednesday).

So here I come to this new adventure. I hope that I can be as helpful as all of the other PDC's I've worked with--its going to be tough but I am up for the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment